Let your adventure change the world!
Northwestern College provides a unique study abroad experience engaging the culture of post-communist Romania, building on the grassroots development work of New Horizons Foundation. Living in the Jiu Valley of Romania, students study and experience: Romanian culture, history, and language, Eastern Orthodoxy, Sustainable Development and other topics. All of these are combined with a strong praxis component within the context of a dynamic non-profit organization – New Horizons Foundation. The semester abroad program includes national excursions, back-packing trips into Romania’s Carpathian Mountain ranges, and homestays with Romanian families.
Top 15 Reasons To Join Us!
- Study in a StudyAbroad101.com Top 10 Non-Traditional Program.
- Experience authentic cultural immersion through a fantastic home stay.
- Take high quality academic courses with local professionals.
- Extend your learning through flexible internships in many fields.
- Travel to nearby cities like Prague & Venice with ease!
- Develop your leadership skills in our service learning programs.
- Brag to your friends about living in Transylvania, home of Dracula.
- Learn about Romanian history by traveling to important sites.
- Receive a bi-weekly stipend to cover your day-to-day shopping.
- Make friends with Romanians of all ages and backgrounds.
- Touch ancient Roman ruins only an hour away from your new home.
- Make traditional dishes like sarmale and papanași with your host family.
- Backpack in mountains known as some of the best hiking area in Europe.
- Explore your new backyard by mountain biking, rock climbing, & caving!
- See theory come alive in a dynamic & growing international non-profit.